Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailew
Zuleikaa,
I have SAD and CFIDS, and so I've read your posts with interest. A couple of months ago I started taking 1 TBS. of cod liver oil in my smoothies every morning, and just recently added 1 TBS. of flaxseed oil to that. I've quit putting on sunblock unless I'm going to be outside for more than twenty minutes. I've ordered a coral calcium product with 400 IU V. D for every 500 mg. Calcium. There's also 250 mg. Magnesium (Oxide, Citrate, and Aspartate). The directions specify 2 a day of this. I also use butter, olive oil, and coconut oil in cooking, so altogether, I guess I'll be at a daily dose of about 3,000 IU of V. D by the end of this week.
I live in the Pacific Northwest, and the gloom is setting in already (weather-wise, I'm still doing ok ) I hope this will be enough, but suppose I start having the symptoms...how do you suggest I best increase my dose?
Thanks for all your research. Here's hoping it's successful!~Gail

Gailew
3,000 IU of D might or might not be enough if you have SAD and CFIDS which are indications of vitamin D deficincy. Or it might be enough now and not enough as fall deepens and winter approaches. A lot of research says that we use 4,000 IU/day and there's a study under dosage that shows that men in Idaho used 7,000 IU/day during the winter. You need to find the dose that you can tolerate where you feel well and your symptoms are much alleviated or disappear. The best thing would be to get tested.

When D should be increased every week or two to give your body a chance to get used to the increasing levels.

And make sure you get enough calcium and magnesium with the D as the three work synergistically.