View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 07:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/219/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi Melanie,

The 30,000 I mentioned was actually the size of the whole county, even so our little town sure had more than 600 people in it...lol. I miss it sometimes. It's so nice to have strangers wave at you and smile or say,"good morning" when you walk by. If you try that here in the city, people think you are trying to start something...lol.

The part of GA we lived in was in the foothills. Here in VA we live on the coast and it is so flat that you could watch your dog run away for hours....lol j/k

Our sons are 16 & 17. They are good boys and we are very proud of them. My oldest just bought a set of weights yesterday and told me I could use them anytime I wanted to. I know in my heart that he bought them with me in mind, bless his heart. He knows I've been trying to save money to get a "total gym" and money is tight. He has a full time job and can spend his money as he pleases, and he wants to spend it to help me...makes me cry I'm so proud of him.

I think it's great that your son wants to try this with you. It would be easier for him as an adult if he were to start eating healthily now. As far as the "vending machines" don't we all have our own "vending machines"? No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. If he really wants to do this, just let him know ALL about it. Teach him what are the best choices and [this is the hard part] let HIM make them. Do not ever set yourself up as the diet police. Be his buddy. Encourage him when he is doing well, and comfort him when he is not doing so well.

Enough preaching, sorry, but I kinda have bad experiences with dieting as a child, and think they have added to my past troubles. I do very much believe that it could be wonderful for your son, but think we need to be careful not to allow our children to judge their self worth by their weight. It can be tricky, but I know you can do a good job being his buddy, afterall who loves him more

Later,

Renee'