Old Thu, Dec-10-09, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Funny you should say that - I have a history of heart disease in my family too and that's why I do not restrict saturated fat.

I don't eat garlic at all because it gives me horrible breath and stomach cramps. After over a year of trying, I can't believe that it's die-off symptoms anymore. However, I do eat heart and liver.

HI capmikee!

I'll check out the link---thanks! I have also found that liver in particular (cow liver when I can get it, lamb's liver when I can't get it) REALLY helps me too. I always feel much better after eating liver. I try to keep it in balance, though, because it is also high in cholesterol. I read that the real problem is not cholesterol in healthy people but that higher cholesterol is an effect of candida problems. (Can't say if it's true or not, but I did read it somewhere, although everything in print isn't necessarily true either . . . ). Because of the current debate about the issue, I tend to go with the "everything in moderation" approach, but that's just me. In my own case, I do eat saturated fat, but in moderation and balanced with other types of fats too (Omegas 3,6 and 9). Still, everyone is different so if something is working for you, go for it!

I know what you mean about garlic since it isn't for everyone. I don't have the stomach bloating symptoms, so it is ok for me and I feel great when I eat it.

RE: omega 6 intake . . . I take it in a pre-balanced oil or else in a capsule form, also pre-balanced with Omega 3 and 9 in a ratio. I take on board your point about not overdoing omega 6 on its own though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
There's more than one candida diet, and some of them do not allow whole grains. We were just discussing the fiber from grains in the butyric acid thread and many folks over there agree that it can be much harder on the gut than fiber from vegetables.

Millet in particular is one of the least gentle grains for me. Every time I've had millet it's been instant and intense pain. After trying several grain alternatives, I decided I was better off without any grains.

I have to add one more comment: Rice cakes are not a food. Puffed rice is created through a high-temperature industrial process that destroys any possibility of nutrition. Marketing them as a health food was one of the biggest swindles of the 20th century.

I agree with most of your comments, insofar as they apply to you and others who are also on candida diets. I think that, above all, this illustrates exactly why people should seek medical and nutritional guidance before beginning any new diet since really, what is needed to treat candida or any illness, is an individual approach.

As for me, I'm fine on millet and other wholegrains but then my food intolerances were more in the wheat, gluten, and shellfish areas. I also have colitis but not really stomach issues with bloating, and from my symptoms at least, the big candida problems I had were in the colon rather than at the top of the digestive system.

I also agree that rice cakes aren't really a food, but I admit to keeping them around for emergencies (e.g. travelling, occasional snacking if I'm in a hurry etc) mainly because they don't seem to do me much harm and they are better than the alternative of potato chips etc. if I need something to spread yogurt or tahini on in a hurry.

As you say, my doctor also pointed out that there is no one "proper" candida diet, except that there is general agreement that sugary and starchy foods exacerbate the condition and should be avoided. I think the best thing is for anyone with candida to get treated by a doctor who can assess their condition completely, including issues like blood pressure, weight, family health history, allergies etc and take it from there, since I think monitoring by a trained professional for these things (cholesterol, vitamin and mineral deficiencies etc) is pretty important for anyone who has enough symptoms to suspect candida in the first place.

I also agree with what you said earlier about not excluding foods unnecessarily. One guide I read said to avoid several veggies my doctor said were fine on a candida diet, so even amongst doctors there is not necessarily a consensus about these things.

Makes for a good discussion though!