Thread: Konjac Flour
View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-18, 09:53

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

So I did an experiment deep frying chicken wings with konjac flour. It worked!

Here's where I need to work on this. When I first coated and fried a single wing piece, removed it, let cool a minute then tossed with buffalo sauce, it was fantastic and pretty crunchy. A second single wing piece was the same.

When I fried 6 or 8 at a time, then tossed them all in the sauce together, the konjac coating seemed to soften and become less crunchy. I even took a batch straight from the deep fryer and spread them out on a wire rack to cool, then sauced them immediately before plating and still had the same semi-soft results.

They were fantastic! But still not sure how to retain the crunch that was there on the single piece experiments. There was still some underlying crunch on the wings, but the konjac coating seemed to become part of the sauce. It was actually very good and made the sauce thicker, but not the result I was aiming for.

One thing I didn't do was fry a batch of wings with no coating at all, just to do a comparison. I'll play around with this some more and report my results

One thing very noticeable is the konjac flour browned a lot more than cornstarch or sweet rice flour, the other two coatings I use. This did not seem to change the flavor of the wings from what I could tell.

I could have eaten 25 of these wings last night! I only made 8 each for my wife and I though...smartly, because I would have devoured all I made and these do still have calories! BUT...a nearly zero carb chicken wing dinner WITH a flour type coating. There was more carbs in the celery we had with them than the wings!