View Single Post
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 12:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/112/105 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have to say, despite this only being a public forum, I am still slightly embarrassed about currently having a problem and people here knowing.
But all of your advice is absolutely amazing. And I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have you to guide me right now.

You've described me exactly. Since I have no appetite, meals are planned ahead in Fitday and eaten at certain times. I have the largest amount of my calories for breakfast so that I'll have all day to naturally burn them off. I don't eat at all after 6:00pm - but never have the hunger pangs to anyway. My ratios have to be 30% protein and no more, no less. I don't have any carbs with my dinner, which is my smallest meal of the day. EVERYTHING is routine and eating has become more of a chore. I weigh every little piece of food too.

But I've also been getting strange cravings yesterday and today. Some times stronger than others. Until now, I've never significantly thought about the foods I used to enjoy - mainly sweet food (I've had occurances but never really felt like I wanted to go back to eating them). My family have been constantly pestering me recently to "eat normal" and "have just one bite of cake if I want it". Now I'm suddenly always thinking of the desserts I loved, and the convenience of pizza. I haven't been eating anything different to spike insulin levels and cravings except a tablespoon of SF maple syrup in tea which I allowed myself last night. And it's gotten to the point that I'm wondering whether my mother might be putting sugar in something I use daily. It sounds ridiculous. Are these cravings just psychological? It's not cravings to binge. It's a strange feeling of absence and hard to explain. Like a lump rising in my throat. Maybe I just never felt like I wanted these foods again until now because my mind hasn't been playing on it so much until now. I don't always get them after eating food, I'll get them while watching TV, etc.

I have increased my calories to 1350 today. I admit I haven't been increasing them as quickly as I should be because I'm still terrified. I can't explain how hard this is proving to be and I'm sure you understand. I've dropped down to a further 98 pounds now and I've drastically become more emaciated over the last few days. Or maybe I'm just noticing the other changes on my body, rather than focusing on my stomach. Something I don't understand is, if my RMR is around 1200 cal and I'm eating 1350 now, how am I still losing weight? I'm aware that the RMR calculators are generalized on the internet and may not be accurate but surely my calculation results would be around the figure given?

I know what I have to do now, and the similarities between me and what you've explained are scary. I wish I had more to reply with to your post - it's so useful and informative but I feel exhausted for words because everything you've said is true and precise as to what I am. At the moment, I can slowly feel myself falling into a deeper depression because I just want to live my life without worrying what I need to plan for meals tomorrow. Or having my family question how many calories and carbs I've eaten for the day, or saying they're worried I'll be dead before Christmas. I feel abnormal. I'm no longer in denial and am actually ashamed by how thin I am at the moment, but just too terrified to up my calories so dramatically. I think I'm halfway there with increasing them at all, and I feel kind of proud that I've realised I have a problem. But I'm mentally tired of it playing on my mind 24/7 and dominating me. I can't go out to socialize without it looping in my head. So even when I involve myself in activities to keep my mind off it, it doesn't work.

I understand that I should let whole foods be the bulk of my calorie increase, but can I allow bars or low carb bread / tortillas? I want to treat myself and maybe have them as a staple in my diet but I feel guilty doing so when people are saying to avoid them. Do you eat any processed food at all? Is the bread you said you've been eating a low carb brand? I also wanted to ask you what calories and carbs you're currently eating, and if you live a busy lifestyle with it. Even though I already find you hugely inspirational and the time you're sparing for an individual you don't personally know couldn't be more respected by me, I guess I'm just grasping for some kind of path to follow and am curious as to everything you've done.

Thank you so much for the support you're dedicating to me.

PS. And thanks for the link you sent me to that video.
I need to install a player to view it on this computer, so I unfortunately haven't been able to see it yet, but I will definitely be getting around to it. It was nice of you to have kept me in mind.