View Single Post
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-20, 19:19
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

FYI: A clinic in a small town a few miles north of where I work started offering a drive-through Covid-19 antibody test. The test was covered by my insurance so I decided to have it done today. My results were negative for the antibody. Thus says this 'results back in 5 minutes' test.

But to be honest, even before I got my results I sort of felt like this might be more of a racket than a service. As they pricked my finger and took a few drops of blood they informed me that the test was FDA approved and that it had a 70% accuracy rate. 70% accuracy??? Really? OK. So how confident should I be in the results either way. Not very.

The test results were provided by what I supposed to be a medical doctor -- on a 10" tablet hanging from what looked like an IV rack placed outside my window like a drive-in speaker. I heard the spiel given to the car ahead of me - much about repeating all the 'stay safe' sanitizing & social distancing rules that we all know. My spiel was verbatim. In fact, I almost thought that I was watching a video. Then suddenly he asked if I had any questions. It was a real person! I asked about the 70% accuracy and told him about the two people from my office that tested positive for the antibody and that most of our office was sick at the same time as this person who tested positive. I told him that I suspected that I had experienced covid-19 and that's why I wanted this test. His response came across as a little defensive about what they were doing and the value in spite of a FDA approved 70% accuracy rate. In the end he did suggest that with my circumstances I might want to consider having a more reliable test done. Wow. It really is more like a racket than a service, IMO. There were no cars in the front of the clinic. I don't know if they were closed or not. But they sure were busy out back processing that long line of cars.

Perhaps I did have corona-virus a month or two ago. Maybe I didn't. I'm not confident that this test shed much light on my situation. 4 more people from my office are scheduled to have their antibody tests tomorrow at the same clinic. These people were among those in the office that were sick for weeks back in February. If all come back negative I will feel a little more confident in my negative results. What if we get mixed results in that group? Could they be false positives? Who knows?