View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-21, 09:46

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This study might be useful when considering weight loss in a controlled setting--like maybe a prison. People living in countries where for a long time, it wasn't even possible to feed the population anything but a lower fat, largely carbohydrate diet, and where industrial processed foods mostly weren't available--the time when this described actual places seems to be quickly fading, if it's not already gone--at least on a population level, like people living in a metabolic ward, are pretty good at complying to the sort of low fat diet used in the study, but people with any other choice don't seem to be.

I think it's a legitimate area of study to look for ways, for people who want to eat the sort of low fat diet described here, to make compliance easier. I have no problems with studies showing low fat doing better than low carb, or vice versa--but ya gotta pay attention to study design, what conditions the findings are shown to be true under.

Quote:
First though, a brief overview of the theory of ketogenic diets. When you eat carbohydrates, your body processes them with insulin, which shuttles blood glucose into fat stores, leaving you hungry. If you don’t eat many carbs, your body starts running on ketones, which your liver manufactures from fat — less hunger, less fat accumulation. Or that’s the theory, at any rate.

More like that's the hypothesis. But it's not like somebody came up with this hypothesis, and then people learned for the first time when it was tested that a low carb diet could be an effective weight loss tool. It went the other way--people observed that switching to a low carb diet often results in weight loss. It's entirely possible that any given hypothesis is actually incorrect, or incomplete, that doesn't throw out the original observation that needs to be explained.

Quote:
had equivalent amounts of non-starchy vegetables.

Another thing that might be different in the real world. Before I went low carb--the vegetable 'crisper' in my fridge was where vegetables went to wilt. After low carb--at least when they're in the mix, they tend to get used up. Maybe with the lower general carb intake, the slight carbohydrate content of something like lettuce or celery is more appealing. Also often I do like the increase in volume it can give a meal--not because I think calorie per bite is a big deal for me, it's more about enhancing the eating experience.