View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 05:49

Plan: Optimal Nutrition
Stats: 147/126/112 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 60%

of COURSE people eating high carb high fat meals are going to gorge themselves - don't they know how tasty high carb high fat combinations are? they're what got most of us fat in the first place!! your body just LOVES it when you give it high carb high fat - because you're programmed to store as much energy as you can get hold of for times of hunger - the carbs raise your insulin and the insulin stores the fat straight on your hips.

don't you think Dr A. would be turning in his grave to think someone was feeding people high carb high fat on purpose to "prove" how atkins works? we know how dangerous high carb high fat is!

as for the copenhagen study - how come they concluded protein encourages satiety, when they could have easily concluded that carbs make you over-eat and make you hungry based on the same evidence?

and - hang on - wasn't there plenty of protein in that spaghetti bolognese meal too? yet that _still_ didn't stop the high carb high fat group from over eating, so isn't that contradictory and point to more complex mechanisms at work?

i do believe protein encourages satiety (along with fat in a low-carb context), but why dismiss the evidence ignored by the conclusions of the copenhagen study that carbohydrate makes you over-eat and hungry faster? i was really disappointed that Horizon only gave one sentence to the whole of the carbohydrate/blood sugar thing - dismissing it based on inconclusive evidence! i'd love to know what's inconclusive about medical fact. we've known about the blood sugar/insulin mechanism ever since we figured out how to keep diabetics alive.

what really irked me was the way they made out that Dr A. never really knew what caused his diet to work (like he spent 30 years of his life guessing), and then presented the conclusions of these three dubious unscientific studies as fact, and wasn't it a shame he died before the Horizon team uncovered the "real" one true single reason, therefore claiming all the credit. funny, because i'd read up to page 28 of atkins for life yesterday, and Dr A. had already mentioned twice that protein encourages satiety.