View Single Post
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 21:26

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hmm, okay here goes for some advice on mtbs:

1) If you're not planning to ride lots of "hard core" trails, forego full suspension. Depending on how well you know your local shop, the bike geek salesperson might try to make you feel like you NEED it but it can actually rob efficiency if you'll be riding mostly gently rolling trails, bike paths, etc. It also costs less to go with a "hardtail." As for the front fork, suspension is a must but you don't need a great deal of travel if you're not going to be going off-road/downhill a lot.

2) Look for a bike with at least Deore components. Anything less will probably suffer problems shifting very quickly and be in need of constant tuning.

3) Be sure you get the right size frame (minimum 2-3" clearance between top tube and crotch) and have it fit to you - just like with a road bike.

4) "V" brakes are fine but disc are awesome! When I first got my Kona Hoss (for big guys) last year, I needed to be sure I could stop and disc brakes were the only way to go. Even without the weight issue, though, the performance gains (stop MUCH better in wet/muddy conditions) are real.

5) Specialized makes great bikes. Other brands I or my friends have (and are happy with) include: Kona, Giant and Fuji.

Good luck! Let me know if I can answer anything else. Let us know what you decide...