#10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-08, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 001/000/000 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I think there is is a lot of evidence that vitamin D supplementation and even sun, once autoimmune diseases are present and severe can aggrevate and escalate those diseases; Lupus comes to mind.

Vitamin D or sun exposure in a person with Lupus can trigger more severe outbreaks and symptoms for sure. Vitamin D triggers and supports an immune response; but in those with autoimmune diseases the immune response is broken and has turned on its host. So, the vitamin D/sun exposure just worsen conditions and triggers more autoimmune events/outbreaks.

At this point vitamin D/sun exposure is not only useless but harmful.

I'm really surprised to see you say this, Zuleikaa. I'm autoimmune and actually started supplementing D3 last year after reading your experiment thread, in which you say:
Quote:
--Do join the experiment if you have one or more of the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency. These are obesity, SAD, depression, anxiety, obsessive behaviors, epilepsy, PCOS, infertility, fibromyalgia, CFS, chronic pain, arthritis, musculoskeletal pain, osteoporosis, lack of balance/muscle strength, autoimmune diseases, intestinal diseases, Crohns, heart disease, impaired thyroid, hyperparathyroid, high blood pressure, high blood calcium levels, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, chronic dry skin, tuberculosis, inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, or any cancer.
Have I been misunderstanding all this time?

This isn't an attack by any means -- I'm just wondering if I've been shooting myself in the foot.