#20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 06:05
Registered Member

Plan: my own/ IF
Stats: 155/155/125 Female 63.75 inches
BF:I/don't/care
Progress: 0%

Hi,
I see some mentions here about depression and serotonin. I learn something new every day---that long term coffee or caffiene use can lead to serotonin problems.

I've been researching different websites about depression---which I have struggled with for maybe 8 years. I can see the wisdom in weaning off of all forms of caffiene.

There may also be a connection between depression and gluten intolerance/silent celiac---which I just found out recently that I have. Among
other things, gluten intolerance can cuase depression and weight gain as well as weight loss. (It depends on the person's genes and how the intestinal problems manifest). That's one thing that Schwarzbein doesn't address.

Some low carb plans still allow for grains---including wheat, barley and rye---which contain gluten. (There is still some debate as to whether oats have gluten; latest studies say not.) I have just started going grain free---and we will see if that helps with the depression and other gluten-stress symptoms. I guess my carbs will have to come from fruit and veggies.