#35   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213.5/151/145 Female 64.5
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I find the article very misleading. The article is unjustly picking on peanuts which are not even in the list of the top 10.

AA is predominantly found in animal products.
Food sources of arachidonic acid (PFA 20:4), listed in descending order by percentages of their contribution to intake, based on data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005-2006

Food and Contribution to intake (%)
  1. Chicken and chicken mixed dishes 26.9%
  2. Eggs and egg mixed dishes 17.8%
  3. Beef and beef mixed dishes 7.3%
  4. Sausage, franks, bacon, and ribs 6.7%
  5. Other fish and fish mixed dishes 5.8%
  6. Burgers 4.6%
  7. Cold cuts 3.3%
  8. Pork and pork mixed dishes 3.1%
  9. Mexican mixed dishes 3.1%
  10. Pizza 2.8%
As you can see, there is a big decrease between #2 and #3. Peanuts aren't even close and Chicken and Eggs are the major contributors.

For those with inflammatory conditions like arthritis, bursitis and others, reduction in AA can bring relief and slow the destruction of the body.

When describing my inherited bursitis pain, a doctor recommend the Arthritis/Bursitis diet. Being low carb, I was already following most of it, but eliminating the AA foods gave me 99% relief, and 30 years later, it's still gone.
For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar: Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action. Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:
  • Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
  • Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
  • Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
  • Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachadonic acid)
  • Pasta (high glycemic index)
  • Juices (high glycemic index)
  • Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
  • White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
  • Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)
Before the dietary change I couldn't walk 2 blocks without stopping and resting and I couldn't drive without a 'blue ice' pack behind my hip. Now I walk 4 miles a day a few days per week and can drive all day with zero pain.

I said 99%. What's left? If I'm driving about 8 hours, I'll have a dull ache in the right hip. Not enough to be called pain, just enough to remind me of the problem I used to have. The arthritis in my hand from a basketball accident is 100% gone.

I don't know if this diet will help everyone, but it has helped me, my wife, and everyone else I know that have followed it. Of course, a lot of people won't follow it because they would rather live with pain than give up certain foods.

I also think the dietary approach is superior to supplements and drugs that mask the pain while the destruction of the body continues. Not to mention the negative side effects of many prescription drugs - you know the stuff the mumble at the end of the ads or put in the fine print.

I figure if you can eliminate your personal negatives with diet, you are better off than adding things to lessen the pain of those negatives.

I miss chicken and egg yolks, but I certainly don't miss the pain. It's a good trade.

To each their own I guess.

Bob

I am so GRATEFUL that I found this information a few weeks ago! I was diagnosed with osteo arthritis in both of my knees and could barely walk the first week in December. I literally sat on the sofa with ice on both knees and gulping Advil plus wore a brace on both knees. I saw my orthopedic surgeon and his suggestion was heavy duty meds or knee replacement! I'm 63 and in very good health otherwise (blessed!). I have low carbed in the past (since 2000) but had been following a different plan since menopause to keep the weight off. Regained about 15 lbs. and intentionally took 12 off after Thanksgiving until now - by following this diet and keeping to low carb.

Even during Christmas I stuck to it. My relatives think I'm crazy but I don't want to take drugs for pain and why would I eat something that makes me feel bad??

Thank you Bob for posting this - it's been an absolute miracle for me! I take nothing right now including Tylenol!