Old Wed, Jun-16-21, 05:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
My mother passed away a little over a year ago - severe dementia, most likely alzheimer's. She was almost 93, so her death was not unexpected at that age. The decline over the previous 10-15 years was primarily cognitive. (...) Oddly enough, during her last 2 weeks, when she was completely bed-ridden, and basically not eating or drinking hardly anything (No IV, so her blood sugar would have been significantly lower than it had been on her primarily starch and sugar based low fat diet - in other words, her body would have switched over mostly to ketones to keep bodily functions going), she seemed to have more clarity of thought than I'd seen in several years. (...) you could see that she was attempting to sing along with the hymns (slight movement of lips and mouth - she knew all the words), and most remarkably of all, she was moving her hands and fingers as if she was trying to play the hymns on the organ. Again, only slight movements (maybe 1/2" this way and that way), but considering that she had gotten to the point where she wasn't moving at all, that small movement was a significant response. When we played some of the old standards, she had a genuine emotional reaction to those - some reactions were happy, others were wistful.
I'm sorry your family had to go through this, Calianna. My granddad also went through a painfully long descent through dementia, and I believe it was called non-Alzheimer's dementia, but IMO, it's like s93uv3h said: type 3 diabetes. Granddad did NOT take care of himself. He had T2D. I'll never forget being about 11 years old, and my dad and uncle had taken him to a doc's appointment. I asked how it went. My dad told me the doc yelled at him, saying, "you're not a schoolboy!!" Granddad had several bowls of corn flakes every morning, plus the usual carbage of the SAD. I'm sure his BGs were a mess.

It wasn't long until his decline started to become obvious. I remember being maybe 15, and he'd ask us the same questions about 5 times an hour. I think I was 29 when he died.

I consider that a crappy way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsArielle
His first wife died if breast cancer. His second wife of dementia. Both thin trim tall women.

What we eat matters as much as how much.
Absolutely. I'm sure a lot of people, including himself, gave my granddad a free pass because he was pretty slim.