View Single Post
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-21, 06:34

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree. Once I upped my protein intake, decreased the fat intake, and ditched all veggies, my hunger went away. It's funny, but I almost enjoy the different feeling of hunger that now comes right before meals (around 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm). This is natural hunger, not an unnatural feeling of being so ravenous you want to eat anything that's in front of you.

This reminds me of the section of Taubes' book where he describes Ancel Keys' starvation experiments (starts on page 59). I remember reading about this several times before, but it was good to be reminded of what it was and what happened to the men.

They were fed around "1600 calories of what would today be considered a very healthy, if very boring diet: whole-wheat bread, potatoes, cereal, and considerable amounts of turnips and cabbage, with token amounts of meat and dairy.... It was a low-fat diet, as nutritionists would call it, low in saturated fat surely, so it was right in line with the dietary guidelines of most twenty-first century health organizations. The calorie level would put it well within the range recommended for weight loss today."

He said that for the first 12 weeks, the men lost an average of a pound of body fat a week, but slowed to a quarter pound weekly for the next 12, despite the same diet. Their metabolisms slowed dramatically, their hair fell out, they thought obsessively about food, and four developed neuroses -- one of whom had several breakdowns and had to be committed to a psych ward, and the other chopped three of his fingers off!