View Single Post
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 12:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/137/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Default RE : Malaysian on lOw Carb dieting in UK.

AHA!! What luck! I'm really pleased to have stumbled across an Asian Low Carb discussion list! I hope to get some malaysian recipes as food here is soooo.....ooo boring-lah!

Hi everyone,

My hubby is on 3rd week Induction, and so far have lost 15 pounds. It was my search for Loh Bak (daikon) that led me to this thread. I can't help but think it must be so hard to do this in KL, with all the curry laksa, nasi lemak and lemang (I wonder can we eat rendang, considering it's all beef?)

Over here, it's easier as we just stick to mixed salad with whatever meat we're having, mostly Salmon as it's cheap here.

My homemade salad dressing, if anyone's interested.

Find a large coffee jar. Go to any supermarket and get "Sun Blush" or "Sun Dried" tomato. Stick the whole packet in (the more you put, the stronger the flavour you'll get) the coffee jar, stick some whole peeled garlic (according to how strong you like it) and top to the rim with olive oil (anytype will do). Make sure the tomato and garlic is submerged in the oil, otherwise they can go mouldy.

To make the dressing, I just pour out about 1 rice cup amount, a pinch of rough salt and some fresh ground (not powdered) black pepper. Just pour over whatever salad you have and toss it.

A favorite and versatile lunch I make for hubby to take to work is this salad with the allowed amount of cheese, shaved over or toss it with a can of plain tuna flakes, or if you have any roast chicken left over, toss it in. Or if yu have any curry chicken left over, omit the olive dressing, and just toss the salad with the chicken curry.

Another favourite is small Salmon or Mackerel (ikan kembung is very similar) lightly cut 2 cut, into the sides and rub with flavoured olive oil. Romaince lettuce, split in half, place on baking tray, drizzle with the same olive oil dressing and scatter small dash of salt over and baked in oven 160C until fish is cooked to a light brown colour but try not to over cook it as it can be like eating saw dust!

We don't eat Mayo which is a blessing. Because it's so cold lately, I've started making soup. We had Chinese egg drop soup with Spinach (Chinese call poh-choy). I've made sambal goreng terung to dress the salad for my hubby (doesn't seems to effect weight loss rate but then of course it was only 2 tablspoon of sambal to 2 fist full of salad). And yesterday, we had Bak Kut Teh with tofu pok (fried bean curd - no idea is this is allowed but if tofu is allowed on the Atkin's list, i supposed this is).

KFC (w/o skin) and Coleslaw is alway a good substitue when he's busy at work.

And also another favourite - Cauliflower Cheese. Get a decent size cauli, cut to florettes, and cook in boiling water for about 5 - 7 minute. The cauli has to be just cooked and tender(and not over cook as it's start to smell sulforous, not very nice). Place in a pyrex or corningware dish, grate any chedder cheese over, and place under pre-heated oven or medium grill for just 4 -5 minute. Lookout, the minute the cheese is melting, it'
s time to take out. Do not let it brown or otherwise your cauli will be chewy and dry. I've made cauli curry too, with just curry powder and chicken stock. I wasn't sure about coconut milk so I didn't add any. Again I served this with a side salad and grilled Salmon.

So what do you guys do when all those roti canai and soup kambing (can we have this?) is beckoning?

I' aiming to convert hubby to a more carb friendly diet after he achieve his weight target. I'm thinking of GI Diet and I can't really see us doing without our rice and noodles here, especially when it's so cold.

Best Wishes from,
MamaGecko