#55   ^
Old Thu, Aug-08-13, 11:28

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by akman
I'd bet if I did a search on this forum, I could find hundreds of discussions about probiotics, eating yogurt, sauerkraut, etc... for their healthy gut benefits. It's become a mainstream topic of conversation. But when I discuss RS as a prebiotic, people get up in arms--especially when I mention using raw potato starch, which has the highest RS content of any conventional food. This is the dogmatic thinking I am trying to challenge.

That's an interesting point. But you also said:
Quote:
RS really has nothing to do with a starchy diet. RS is not seen by the body as regular starch. In a calorie sense, regular starch is seen as 4kcal/g. RS is seen as about 2.5kcal/g, and all of that is fat calories. Eating 1TBS of pure RS is like eating 1/8 TBS of pure fat.

And that's an even more interesting point. You're saying you're trying to challenge the dogmatic thinking, but then you also say something that implies we could just eat fat directly instead of eating RS. Does the benefit come from RS directly, or does it come from the product of conversion, i.e. fat? Or, does it come from the elimination of the substrate through conversion, which could otherwise cause trouble down the line if it was not converted? You know, sort of low-carb where one part of the benefit comes directly from the carb restriction, but just for the gut.