#384   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-22, 13:46

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I would be seriously bummed if I had to give up dairy now that I have introduced it back into my lower carb eating plan. Meat and veg followed by yogurt and whey works well for me too.
After reading more about gut health, are there non-dairy yogurts with the live probiotic strains to still benefit your gut? I see quite a few different nut milk yogurts in the store but do they still have yogurts benefits? Marty's dairy-free recipe book shows a meal with a scoop of low fat cottage cheese and lists some hard cheeses too? Is there something about the cheese making process that makes it tolerable to someone sensitive to dairy? The rest of the list is fish, liver, eggs, and berries. If you can keep whey, maybe try the frozen berries and nut milk/water "fluff"?

I am dairy free. I have lately been following Dr William Davis's Supergut program (he wrote a book about it) and I have been making coconut milk yogurt following his recipe. It's a bit of work but I am enjoying it. The book is quite interesting and worth a read, especially for anyone with gut issues. He advises homemade yogurt because store bought yogurts are not fermented long enough to create truly beneficial amounts of bacteria.

People sensitive to dairy may just be sensitive to the lactose but many, myself included, are sensitive to the casein which is the protein. While fermentation removes the lactose the casein remains. Most cow's milk in the US has A2 casein. By switching to A1 milk (either A1 cow's milk or goat's milk which is naturally A1) some people can tolerate dairy. I don't seem to be one of them, but I will probably try the yogurt again with goat's milk just to double check. I prefer yogurt made from milk to that made from coconut milk.