View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-22-06, 22:22
Registered Member

Plan: own plan
Stats: // Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 77%

Oh boy, I have not posted in a long while, but I'm intrigued.
Here goes...

1) Do you restrict food calories/quantities to maintain weight, or, do you eat ad lib?
Lately, I call it "controlled chaos''. There are certain foods that work for me (i.e. no blood sugar swings, keeps digestion good, etc), and within those limits, I ''ad lib''

2) Do you experience physical hunger?
Yes. I have found after years of too much hunger (starving) and then not enough (coe), I have found true physical hunger to be a healthy sign. Not the high-carb gnawing kind, but the real kind that means my previous meal has been digested and I need sum whole food fuel!

If so, is it constant or does it come in episodic "jags and lulls" where it is alternating between starving and normal?
This is tough to call. After years of abusing my body signals, I can still feel ''jags and lulls'' and not really feel like eating, ignoring it. I guess if I am busy and feel fine working, I'll continue. But if my energy is low, I will grab a bite. I don't know if this answered that.

3) Do you find this hunger emotionally distressful and discouraging, or, is it easy for you to tolerate because you accept it?
It seems easier to tolerate. Stomach hunger has never really been my issue. It is appetite that usually is more emotionally distressful and discouraging.

4) What is your high BMI?
I don't know.

5) What is your present BMI?
don't know.

6) How long have you been maintaining within 5 pounds of goal?
roughly 1.5 years (vanity weight) but I was within 10 pounds for the past 3 years. I lost little weight, but got denser (yay muscle!).

7) If you know, how many carbs & calories do you eat?
I don't keep track of either. There are just certain foods I avoid. I find animal fat is important no matter what. Protein I keep lower and carbs higher than induction levels but only from certain sources. This is the balance that has worked well for me, along with skipping breakfast. I know some of this is against popular opinion, but after a lot of trial and error, this is what I have found to work for me and keep me healthy and energetic and not at my obsessive extremes (although I realize to others this might sound obsessive in itself).

I should note, I have never had a ''normal'' relationship with food and I never expect it to be. There is a nagging want to return to disorder at times, but I have found as long as I know what works for myself and I don't feel pressured to conform to what works for others, I can remain healthy for me.