View Single Post
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 17:25
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

PF, this really isn't about your child. I have a problem with the "growth rate" claim because it has the potential to scare parents of all children - not just children with a seizure disorder, but children who are developing diabetes, obesity, poor dental health, behavioral and learning problems - off of a nutrition plan that has demonstrated benefits in all these and other areas.

Yet where is the evidence that low carb diets are likely to stunt growth, or even cause excessive weight loss? From what I've seen here on the forum, people generally have to actively restrict calories to continue losing weight as they approach their goal weight.

In my opinion, a low-carb diet could even have a normalizing effect on people who are underweight, because calorie for calorie, it has more of the nutrients used to build tissue (as well as hormones required for healthy development), namely fats and proteins. I know I'm not the only one who has noticed spontaneous improvement in muscle tone after a few days of induction, or a reduction in fat inches accompanied by stable weight (or even gain), which would indicate an increase in muscle and/or bone mass.

Another thing to consider - our paleolithic ancestors appeared to have greater stature and brain size than their agricultural descendents. Maybe this had something to do with their relatively low-carb diet, maybe not. But it's a data point.

Of course I wouldn't expect you or any other parent to base your child's health care on mere opinion. But perhaps you can see why I am skeptical of this claim.

Wyv