View Single Post
  #67   ^
Old Mon, May-11-15, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 267/230/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 55%

You bonked because your body hasn't completely switched over to burning ketones yet. It takes about a week to start producing them, then another 2 weeks (for me at least) to get your body used to using them as a fuel. When I first went on a ketogenic diet, I had the same issue. I went on a simple 15 mile ride, my usual route, and nearly had to walk my bike home. It took a full month before I was back to original form. Another month later I felt like superman. The best part is that your legs stop burning when you really crank. You'll know you have fully converted over because you no longer get the lactic acid buildup in your legs that makes them burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant324
I switched to a low carb diet 3-4 weeks ago. I work out with weights 4 times a week & haven't had any problems in the gym, but I'm still trying to find the right snack to bring along on my bike rides. So far I haven't been all too successful. In the past, I had issues with saddle discomfort which prevented me from doing rides longer than 10-15 miles, but I finally solved that problem & I no longer have any issues standing in my way of doing longer rides EXCEPT bonking. I did a 25 mile ride last week & yesterday & bonked after approx. 15 miles, even though I started snacking 45 minutes into the ride. And the worst part is that I wasn't pushing hard on either ride & I was on an almost completely flat rail trail except for some minor variations & a few little hills that would barely be considered an incline by most people. Yesterday's bonk was worse than last week's. And I'm also finding that I don't have enough power & endurance for very short hills. (And I do mean VERY short). I had eggs & bacon for breakfast both times. Am I just one of those people whose body takes longer to adjust to the change in diet? The walnuts I ate during my ride yesterday didn't help at all. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.