Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 09:12
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Regina, Delta E changes from second to second. Setting up a baseline is meaningless, because it is only relevant for the second it is calculated. The second after that, all bets are off. The playing field is never level. Metabolic researchers might want/hope/pray that they can make it so. But delta E can't be quantified because we are as yet only in the infancy of being able to clearly define it, in more accurate terms than as a vague intellectual notion.

And we don't even yet know how to accurately measure energy wastage, Geez Regina, we're still not even sure of the different mechanisms the human body can use to waste or utilize energy. Metabolic ward studies might be the best tool we have so far, but it's still using a club to dissect an eyeball.

Stuart.

Stuart, true delta-E is ever changing by the minute, but over time - a day, a week, a month - we can measure it to a certain degree as a baseline starting point to establish the energy required to maintain weight.

Is it perfect? No, and I didn't say it was. But it is what we have at this point in time and while an "estimate" of energy required to maintain, it's accurate enough to determine what would be a calorie deficit.

My point was and remains, that delta-E (simplistically) does not increase because one modifies their diet to restrict carbohydrate. With that you could argue because of increased wasted energy, through futile cycling etc., that delta-E has increased -- and in a sense you would be correct because the level of caloric intake would need to increase to overcome the wasted energy and maintain weight, but it wouldn't be because delta-E increased, but because wasted energy would need to be replaced to reach delta-E. So, I could argue that delta-E hasn't changed and the difference is that more energy is being wasted, thus establishing and maintaining a calorie deficit more easily.

But ya know what? Who cares? I'm not going to continue to split-hairs with you about this, OK?