View Single Post
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-11, 21:12

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Debbie,
Unfortunately, Ray Peat has never written a "diet book" of what to eat. Debbie (Live Simply) created this thread for that reason, to help people be able to get as much info as possible in one place on Peat's recommendations. She and Scarlet and I did a lot of research on various websites and asked Ray Peat himself some questions and pooled our collective knowledge on this thread.
Admittedly, it is hard to create a "diet" from all the bits and pieces of information on the first page of this thread.

Lita Lee is a scientist who studied with Ray Peat and incorporates a lot of his recommendations in her dietary advice on her website. She has a fact sheet on thyroid resistance which sums up a lot of the Peat recommendations in a bit more clear cut manner, both in terms of what NOT to eat, and what to eat. However, there is one error. She recommends 25 grams of protein but omitted, "3 times a day". In other words, like Peat, she recommends consuming at least 75 grams of protein a day.

Here is the link:

http://www.litalee.com/documents/Th...0Resistance.pdf

A typical day for me would be the breakfast I described in a previous post. Then I might have a snack of some cheese and orange juice, or some orange "jello" (home made) with sweetened whipped cream. He also recommends eating a raw carrot, shredded, with coconut oil or olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar. Dinner is usually pot roast, served with the gelatinous broth, or shell fish, or sometimes steak or ground beef, served with mashed potatoes or fried potatoes. If I don't have gelatinous broth with the protein, I make sure to have "jello" right after the meal. (Again, this is homemade, with fruit juice, sugar, and gelatin.) Then I might have some Haagen Dazs before bed. Peat recommended ice cream before bed to help reduce the release of stress hormones in the night, which keep me awake. It has really been helping with my sleep.

He is a big fan of dairy, so he encourages drinking milk, which I don't really care for. He also recommends cheese, and says that in some ways this is preferable, because tryptophan is found in the whey, not the curds. (Tryptophan converts to serotonin, which is inflammatory.)

He says if you do want to consume a grain, masa harina would be the best choice. And he recommends pork rinds as a crunchy snack. You can read about the fruit and juice and all the other stuff at the link I gave you, and on this thread.

His article, "Vegetables: Who defines food" on his website has a lot of good info, also.

Cathy