View Single Post
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 07:54

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Good morning from the west coast - you two are such early birds! Thanks for posting that list of foods, JLx, it's great to have everything here in one place.

On the chicken feet, not sure I recommend them….I just saw them at Whole Foods and commented on them to the guy stocking the shelves. He told me he can't keep them in stock and they make The Best Broth. With that recommendation, I had to buy a package. It made good broth, but no better from broth made from a carcass. I wonder how much experience his customers have making their own broth - I'm guessing not much. It was also a little disconcerting watching the progress of the broth. The feet never broke down, never got past their "foot-ness". They made a pretty lean broth and perhaps that is what others found attractive. I doubt I will seek them out again.

On the tea, I've been drinking with 1 tsp per cup, three cups per day. I wondered about why he allowed cream as well, but I like HWC, find it infinitely more satisfying than almond milk or coconut cream or CO so I will stick with it until I figure out it is causing some adverse reaction. That said, I used to drink 4 cups of tea per day and am now subbing 1 or 2 of them with an herbal tea without cream. Progress…

I'm very pleased with how easy it was to fast yesterday and look forward to doing it again tomorrow. Interesting that you no longer want 3 meals on eating days, Janet. I was actually considering eating late breakfast and early dinner in perhaps a 6 hour window (10 and 4?) and seeing how that goes. But I think I will ease into that.

As for the insulin index, I remember Lustig talking about glucose and insulin response on a local California PBS radio show (I've long since lost my link). He was asked if we should just avoid carbs, and he said no, that branch-chained amino acids were something else to be concerned with, but he did not go into any detail. That was the first time I'd heard of BCAAs in a negative light - till then it was something to seek out in protein powders. Anyway, it makes me wonder if we can look for an update on insulin reaction from Lustig or any of his fellow researchers in California…..it seems we need much more if this is the key to really controlling diabetes.