View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-19, 07:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Janet, the Scher article is literally hot off the presses. As usual, very objective in providing findings and grading credibility.

Quote:
"The author’s final conclusion, a dietary recommendation based on NutriRECS Consortium guidelines, is that adults should continue current red meat intake, as reducing consumption is unlikely to benefit our health.

Of note, unlike older studies involving meat, these meta-analyses were not funded by the meat industry, ruling out an obvious potential conflict of interest."

That's good news, as I consume red meat frequently, mostly beef, and find it provides the proteins I require, preserves muscle mass, and can be prepared in many different ways in a variety of satisfying meals. I consume other healthy proteins as well, but beef edges out others in terms of frequency.

And this statement is one of the reasons I trust DietDoctor for providing sound, credible information without an agenda:

Quote:
"You can probably guess where we stand. We have committed ourselves to grading the evidence we cite, believing we should rely on the highest-quality evidence whenever possible. When high-quality evidence isn’t available, then we need to recognize the limitations of weak evidence.

Also, we are committed to making low-carb simple and helping individuals dramatically improve their lives. Therefore, the individualized perspective looks pretty good to us.

Studies aren’t perfect. Science is not as perfect as we would like. But we applaud the authors for focusing on the quality of evidence and an individualized perspective.

Based on the available evidence, we agree. There is no compelling health reason to avoid red meat.

That said, we support those who avoid red meat but want to eat low carb, with resources like vegetarian and pescatarian meal plans and our vegetarian guide.

Both can be healthy. It’s your choice."

So, when we continue to read and watch the news drumbeat related to nutrition, we can, at least for now, feel secure that much of the misinformation about red meat consumption is from a variety of sources with unsubstantiated information, agendas having nothing to do with recommending good human health practices, and some vested interests driven to change the perception of what constitutes healthy foods purely for marketing purposes.

Now, please pass the NY strip . . . . . .