#80   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 05:49

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I try to limit it to about 1-2 tablespoons. It also has a little bit of a bitter taste to it, kind of halfway nutty, halfway bitter. So if you use to much you might find it intrudes into the flavors too much.

Golden Flax has a much better taste than the black. I make a protien drink every morning using a heeping tablespoon of the ground golden flax (on only 8 oz of liquid) and I never have any hint of bitterness just a wonderfully nutty flavor.

If you are using pre-ground flax (which is probably the black flax), then the bitterness may be coming not only from the black seeds but also from the fact that the ground seeds may be going rancid. Once ground, they go rancid very quickly. This is the reason I choose to grind my own. If you do choose to use pre-ground flax, try to find a source that keeps it frozen or, at the very least, refrigerated. (Of course, who knows how long it has been from the time it was ground to the time it arrived at your vendor who put it in a freezer or refrigerator... it's always a "crap shoot" when you buy it pre-ground.)

Hope this helps,

Phyllis