View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 09:22

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

We do like to go for the medication/vaccine over preventative medicine. But telling people to use pickle juice mouthwash doesn't make much money.

The paper below says that more than one species of bacteria is needed for periodontal disease to develop (emphasis mine).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4746253/
Quote:
Nonetheless, complex interactions between bacterial flora and the host defense mechanisms significantly influence the balance between bacterial aggression and host protection and thus determines whether periodontal breakdown occurs (Hajishengallis et al., 2012). In light of these criteria, a number of experimental evidences have demonstrated that the primary etiological agents of periodontal diseases are generally Gram-negative rods which include Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans, Tannerella forsythia (previously designated Bacteroides forsythus), Prevotella, Fusobacterium, and P. gingivalis. Not one of these microbial species is capable of causing the destructive events involved in the periodontal disease progression but the etiology requires a concerted interaction of these members to establish their niches in the oral cavity

But, you also need a susceptible host
Quote:
The expression of virulence factors is often regulated in response to changes in the external environment of the periodontopathogen. If active in a susceptible host, these virulence factors can result in a rapid and significant destruction of periodontal tissues, bone resorption, induction of host responses by cytokine production, as well as inhibition of host protective mechanisms.

Alzheimer's moniker of Type 3 Diabetes is consistent with the above. The condition of the host determines the virulence.

There's pretty strong evidence that Lactobacilli that are found in commonly consumed fermented foods, like yogurt and pickles, counteract p. gingivalis.

What would a discussion be without a mouse study? (emphasis mine) The LG2055 is Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-00623-9

Quote:
In conclusion, our results demonstrate that gastric administration of LG2055 could control oral inflammation and bone resorption by P. gingivalis infection. Furthermore, the suppression of inflammatory cytokine production in gingival tissue by gastric administration of LG2055 may correlate with β-defensin production in oral sites. Since the administration of tablets containing Lactobacillus reuteri significantly decreased the number of periodontal pathogens in the subgingival microbiota and was effective as an adjunct to scaling and root planing in chronic periodontitis in a randomized clinical trial35, 36, it is probable that the results observed in our animal experiment will also be seen in the human oral cavity in clinical trials.

In humans

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...896112618300683

Quote:
Porphyromonas gingivalis inhibits the proliferation and induces the apoptosis of human gingival epithelial cells. Lactobacillus acidophilus could attenuate this effect in a dose-dependent manner, and it thus reduces the destruction from pathogens. Lactobacillus acidophilus could be an effective candidate for probiotic therapy in periodontal diseases.

For now, I won't worry about p. gingivalis. I'll brush my teeth, keep eating low carb and live fermented things.