#47   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-20, 07:19

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The diet is designed to be low carb and avoid arachidonic acid. It works great for Bob, so we can assume he is sensitive to that.

I can look at it and know it would not work for me, but then, I'm not sensitive to arachidonic acid. I've got a lectin/nightshade problem when it comes to my joints.

Also, the more sensitive we are, the less of the substance it might take for us to feel it. I used to eat lots of cashews, a legume with lectins, with no apparent problems. Now that I've gotten my body into a healthy state, ONE is enough to make me feel sick. Yet, I can consume coffee and dairy with no apparent bad effects. The lectin load must be smaller, or I have the enzymes to digest them and make them less toxic.

But the only way I know to see if certain foods are trying to kill you are to drop them from your diet and see wait happens. And we need to wait weeks before trying them again. This seems to let the body reset and lose the tolerance that was not causing obvious symptoms, but also damaging us.

My plan, which I did in January of last year, was a 3 day fast followed by beef only for 3 weeks. I felt better right away! And adding foods one at a time and see how I did was a real game-changer.

I never would have figured it all out if I hadn't "gone to extremes." But then, I'm living proof that sometimes you have to.

I understand what you're saying, since in the case of extreme problems, it's often necessary to go extreme in order to rule out problem foods.

The reason I have all those questions is that I'm only trying to determine any unmentioned intricacies of his diet. At my age, I do deal with stiffness in my joints, especially my knees and hips. If the diet is limited to literally the few foods on the ok list, and I can't eat a bunch of them because they're too carby/my digestive tract isn't happy with them, I can't see me trying it, unless my situation gets a lot worse, and I become desperate. If there are a few unmentioned LC friendly foods that are ok, I'd give it a try for the recommended month to see if it helped.

I really AM curious as to what the cut off is between what's considered lean beef and what's considered fatty beef, as well as if he knows why higher amounts of saturated fats are also a problem.

The reason I don't just go ahead and try it following that short list of foods is that a year or two ago, based on information I had at the time about seed oils and joint inflammation, I tried cutting out absolutely all seed oils for about 4 months. I didn't see any real difference in the joint stiffness - it still came and went with barometric pressure changes/changes in the weather, and the time of year (I live north of the Mason Dixon, so we only get remnants of hurricanes here, but there's still lots of rapid barometric changes, which equals more joint stiffness) When I resumed eating the seed oils, I didn't see an increase in joint stiffness. But I do eat chicken frequently, plus I eat whole eggs, 80%-85% ground beef (which as I mentioned some people would consider to be very high in fat), butter, full fat cheese, cream, plain greek yogurt, pork, occasionally some shellfish (the diet only mentions salmon and fish - shellfish are often considered to be a different category), plus a variety of LC friendly veggies, some berries, unsweetened cocoa powder and sometimes unsweetened baking chocolate, and a few other things that I eat occasionally, most of which are not mentioned in either the yes or no list. If I decide to give it a try at some point, I want to make sure I'm doing it right, while not cutting out whole swathes of foods that would still be perfectly acceptable, but just don't happen to be mentioned in those lists.