Old Thu, Apr-04-19, 07:39

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
k.

Perhaps it is what is in the Dr Barry video-- without use the bile material concentrates and becomes a thickened mass that is very difficult to expel thru the narrow tubing meant for a thin viscous fluid. It is all about the carbs: low fat SAD diet, according to Dr B, causes the development of the sludge.

Eating fats keeps the bile squirting out !

Stones, grit, pebbles, sludge - whatever you call it, this is pretty much what happens when you eat too low fat for too long. At some point when you eat some extra fat again, the gall bladder tries to do what it's meant to do, and the ducts get clogged with all that sludge , causing pain and vomiting.

[ETA: I experienced this in my early 40's, and had my gall bladder removed - it's considered to be the 3-F problem: Forty, Fat, Female]

I was of course told to eat low fat forever to avoid having problems with undigested fats. At some point even the most vigilant of low fat dieters is going to increase their fat intake. Good thing that having your gall bladder removed doesn't necessarily mean you're really stuck with a lifetime of low fat eating. Mine was removed about 25 years ago, and I now eat lots of fat with no problem.

From what I understand, over time, the duct from the liver develops a little pouch which stores extra bile, and acts almost like a replacement gall bladder. Granted, it was probably almost 10 years after my gall bladder was removed before I went LC and significantly upped my fat intake, but apparently I'd been eating extra fat often enough and long enough on a high carb diet to develop that bile storage pouch, which seems to work adequately to digest all the fats I eat.