View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-24, 18:24

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow.

I think there's plenty of fat shaming already without national policies that encourage such obvious fat shaming through non-official channels - especially such blatant fat shaming of those who are mere visitors to that country.

The 4% of the native population that is obese there - We know they're subjected to official fat shaming. But we also know it's not ALWAYS the fault of the obese individual, since there are medical conditions unrelated to diet that can cause massive weight gain.

Other times obesity ends up being the ultimate result of having gone on so many extreme diets in a desperate attempt to lose down to an acceptable weight - the constant yo-yo-ing up and down has been shown to result in weight regain, plus interest.

The Biggest Loser had a big prize at the end, but the almost inevitable regain (unless they kept up with the extreme diet AND the extreme exercise schedule) was still a sad example of what happens with those who are so desperate to lose weight that they starve and exercise themselves thin.

The stress alone of being harassed about weight can result in "stuffing" your feelings, and gaining even more weight.

(I just had a gloomy thought - what happens to those in Japan who really can't lose weight? They've being harassed at work, and apparently also harassed in public - do they end up quitting their jobs and isolating themselves to avoid the constant harassment and embarrassment? Do they become suicidal because they've tried everything and nothing works? The other articles said that while they won't be fired for being obese, the employee will be dealt with (might as well call it official harassment) by their boss or boss's boss etc. They said it has never gotten to the point that the chief executive of the company has gotten involved in handling of an obese employee who "refuses to take advice". But I also wonder just how they prove that an employee has refused to take diet and exercise advice? Do they have someone following the employee around day and night to prove that they're sneaking Big Mac's and fries on the side, and not actually exercising at the gym?)

While it's good that they've managed to avoid the massive obesity problems that are plaguing so many developed countries, I really question their methods.