View Single Post
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-17, 04:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

All the vegans and vegetarians I know are in my own family, my sister's lacto-ovo vegetarian, her daughter's vegan. They don't judge me, I don't judge them, we might disagree on some things.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...4b0f009905272a8

Somebody posted a question about squash in another thread, that got me wondering about calories in today's chickens. Data bases we get our nutritional information from depend on the food samples used--a crop of unusually sweet oranges, or relatively lean meat could really throw things off. Out side of purified diets, we have largely the illusion of precision. There's also the question of what "yield after cooking" means. If I cook a few chicken leg quarters, the presumption is that I won't eat the fat that cooks off--that's not a safe assumption to make, in my case.

Quote:
Chicken may not be the lean meat you thought it was

“The ever-increasing genetic pressure to improve growth rates and breast yields of broiler chickens has led to a high incidence of several abnormalities in breast muscles,” reports a study published in World’s Poultry Science Journal.

In particular, muscular myopathies called white striping and wooden breast are now widespread—causing severe product quality and nutritional problems that are getting worse by the year. For example, a 2012 study showed 55.8 percent of broilers impacted by white striping. By 2016, those rates had skyrocketed to over 96 percent.

So what does this mean for consumers? These conditions create necrotic lesions, fibrosis and lipidosis in muscle fibers, causing collagen and fat deposits to develop instead of healthy muscle. When comparing normal to severely affected meat, there are large degradations in nutritional values—including a 224 percent increase in fat content and a nine percent decrease in protein content. Further, in 100 grams of meat affected with white striping, the percentage of calories from fat rose from seven percent to 21 percent.