Old Wed, May-10-17, 05:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbayob
Thanks for the note!

Nomenclature can be so arbitrary, and I can certainly see your side on this one!

It wasn't even until 2013 that the American Medical Association classified obesity a disease. Regardless, the way certain foods create a long term and (I believe) incurable insulin resistance, calling it a disease for the result of such an effect certainly gets people's attention. It may or may not be a 'disease' by definition, but it certain works metaphorically!

Anyways! I'm totally inspired by your journey and only hope to be able to follow in your footsteps!

Sincerely,
Don

You might be interested to know that the word "disease" has no definitive definition. It is used kind of willy nilly and the most obvious effect of having something labeled a disease is that whatever is now called a disease then may qualify for insurance reimbursement and of course pharmaceutical or surgical intervention. There is a lot written about the medicalization of life and who profits by it. This does not mean that obesity isn't a real problem but whether or not it is a disease is unanswerable since the concept of "disease" is fluid, changing all the time and not consistent. What's important of course is that you seem to have gotten a good handle on what you need to do to regain your health. However obesity gets labeled this is a good thing.

Jean