View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 18:29

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have been where you are.

The problem that you might not appreciate, and that most people don't recognize, is that when you suddenly quit the numbing carbs, your feelings and emotions really are more intense and raw than other peoples'. You feel things more deeply. This is physical and not "just" feelings or habit. No wonder you feel bad.

(long story about levels of brain chemicals and upregulated receptors)

It takes weeks or months for the brain to re-wire and settle down after having been adapted to carb levels high enough to act as a calming drug. I have been through that to the other side and WHAT A RELIEF when the need for calmness is normal. Regular people do not have any idea about that kind of anxiety and antsiness.

What to do while you wait? Depends on your preference and how bad it is. I hear of people who like to tough it out with lots of fat and protein. Me, I like a plan that has 50-60 net carbs a day and I never have to tough out anything, which means I feel great all the time. Like Lutz or Kwazniewski. Or maybe South Beach also.

It's kind of like when you have a cooking pan with crusted-on food.

You can either scrub at it for 20 minutes (this is like toughing it out)
or you can let it soak for 20 minutes (this is like having more carbs)

Either way, it will take 20 minutes. Just depends on if you like scrubbing while you wait or if you like to chill.