View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-07, 21:30

Plan: none
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Foods and Fat Deposition

I've done a lot of experimenting with different foods and diets over the past few years... high olive oil, high saturated animal fat (dairy), high nuts, high fruit (low fat)...high grains (moderate fat), high coconut oil, coconut cream. It's probably not healthy to do so much experimentation but it beats the alternative of eating the wrong diet for a lifetime.

Being a tall and fairly thin guy, it's easy for me to see how different foods affect my body.

My observations have been as follows:

Coconut oil definitely has very little contribution to body fat, rather it is quickly burned and actually seems to decrease visceral adiposity. But coconut cream (contains fructose and glucose) seems to contribute to visceral fat.

High dairy fat (I mix raw cream into my raw milk) definitely increases subcutaneous fat. This is seen as increased hip fat and facial fat and all over subcutaneous fat. There is not much contribution to visceral fat.

Grains and fruits contribute mostly to visceral fat.

Almond butter, walnuts, and olive oil seem to increase both visceral fat and subcutaneous fat.

I haven't done a lot of high meat, but excess protein seems to go more to visceral fat. I'm still planning to experiment with organ meats, maybe some fatty ones like kidney.

Considering that visceral fat (the fat below the abdomen and surrounding the organs) is associated with lots of bad things (inflammation, heart disease, insulin resistance, etc)... and subcutaneous fat I suspect may be beneficial as long as fitness is high, I now try to eat less of the foods that contribute to visceral fat, and more of the foods that don't.

Just did a quick google check, and it seems truncal subcutaneous fat may be bad for asians if adipocytes are large/dysfunctional.

Well, I'm mostly northern european, my mom is mostly Irish, and my dad was adopted but appears to be european possibly Mediterranean. I look much more like my mom.

It's interesting that coconut oil reduces body fat and is used mostly in warm tropical climates where excess body fat would not be needed. The fact that coconut cream increased my visceral fat may simply be because I'm sensitive to fructose. I think fructose may be less lipogenic for people from tropical climates where fruits are abundant.
Saturated animal fat (from dairy) increases my subcutaneous fat, which may have helped prevent hypothermia in a cool northern climate.

I suspect I have some adaptation to dairy but I seem to do better if the milk fat content is increased by adding cream to the milk.

Well now I'm rambling... has any one else experimented and found that different foods deposit fat differently on your body?
Sponsored Links