#8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 20:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarbkat
how do people do vegetarian low carb without soy?

Well, it's harder...because the more foods that you eliminate or greatly reduce, the less variety in your diet. If you get bored easily, then eliminating foods is a hard way to go. However, there are more than a few low carb non-soy options. Eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, and vital wheat gluten (if you can eat gluten), as well as small amounts of lentils, are what I usually stick to and they make it possible to maintain a vegetarian diet without a lot of, or any, soy. You won't be able to rely on much processed food, since most processed vegetarian foods include some amount of soy--but I think there are some Quorn products that are mycoprotein only (no soy.) Not all of them are soy-free, though, so read your labels.

OTOH, if you're willing to make most of your own foods from scratch, you should be just fine.

Quote:
I gather from what everyone is saying is that soy is not as good for you as we think it is.....

It's really something you need to decide for yourself. As for whether soy isn't good for you, IMO, the jury is still out. There is just as much research that indicates soy is a fine protein source as there is claiming that it isn't. The truth is that it's probably somewhere in the middle, and that moderation is your friend, that it's neither a miracle food nor the road to hell. But everyone's mileage varies, so each of us has to make his/her own decision based on what our own bodies tolerate.