View Single Post
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-20, 11:57

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Interesting read Janet, Thanks for sharing.

One thought tho, that last section labeled "Deadly Factors" would have been much more useful if, along with the percentage of those who died who exhibited a particular factor, information had also been given about the number of New Yorkers who, in general, have the particular factor.

For example, the article says that 20% of the people who died from Coronavirus in New York State had hyperlipidemia.

But, when I googled "hyperlipidemia in New York State" the first thing that google returned was a pdf from Health.NY.gov that says that in 2015, 80% of New York adults surveyed reported that they'd had their cholesterol levels checked within the previous five years and that 36.6% of those reported that they were told they had high cholesterol levels.

I'm not a statistician BUT, even if we assume that the 20% of New Yorkers who had NOT had their cholesterol checked within 5 years also DID NOT have hyperlipidemia, then 29.28% (0.8 x 36.6) of the New Yorkers surveyed had hyperlipidemia. And that's making the assumption that every single person with hyperlipidemia had been tested. More likely, those who've never had their cholesterol checked probably have a fairly similar levels of high cholesterol as those who have been tested. (There'll be some who've never been tested simply because they appear healthier so their doctors won't have checked. But there'll be others who've never been tested because they're too poor to go see a doctor so therefore more likely to have various health issues. I'm better the two groups come close to canceling out so that the real prevalence of hyperlipidemia is very close to the reported 36.6%)

So, assuming that the survey participants were selected reasonably randomly, then we ought to be able to assume that at least 29%, (and more likely, closer to 36.6%) of New Yorkers have hyperlipidemia.

Seems to me like that should also mean that somewhere between 29% to 36.6% of the New Yorkers who died of COVID-19 should have had hyperlipidemia, even if hyperlipidemia had NOTHING to do with whether one dies of the disease or not.

But, only 20% did! So, is hyperlipidemia PROTECTIVE rather than a risk factor for dying of the disease???