View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-18, 11:27

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm ok with blaming insulin, but I'm not ok with blaming IGF-1. To wit, IGF-1 is stimulated by growth hormone and GH is absolutely essential for maintaining good health, never mind a child's growth.

So, how does metformin work? It activates insulin receptors. In doing so, this means insulin is now more potent. This is probably good at the liver, where insulin is degraded, hence the claimed drop of insulin in peripheral tissue. But everywhere else, it just makes things worse, especially at the fat tissue, especially when there's already too much insulin floating around, ya?

Cancer and insulin, it's a pair. Well, if we activate the insulin receptors, and if that makes insulin more potent, that's a problem.

Metformin and longevity, and of course insulin, it's a trio. From c. elegans research by (I forget her name), we know insulin (and glucose) is certainly involved at least mechanistically with longevity. The more insulin, the shorter those worms lived. The more metformin, the more potent insulin, you do the math.

Apparently, those who take metformin suffer fewer all-causes diseases than those who don't take metformin. Problem with this comparison, where's the healthy people that don't take metformin? Jeebus, where's the healthy people that take metformin, huh? Cuz metformin is prescribed only to sick people.