View Single Post
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-20, 07:11

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Did someone edit Dr Maholtra's article to intentionally word it like this?

Quote:
Metabolic syndrome, which is caused by excess body fat, is defined as any three of a cluster of five conditions; increased blood pressure, excess body fat around the waist, high blood sugar and abnormal cholesterol levels.

Maybe he's actually of the opinion that allowing yourself to gain any excess body fat is what causes metabolic syndrome, no matter what causes the weight gain. We've all had experience that weight gain is not unusual on a high carb diet, but we know it is still possible to gain weight on a LC diet too, and even on a keto diet, if you're consistently eating way, way, far too many calories. That's the whole point behind "You don't need to count calories on LC, but calories DO count".

For a long time here, we've put the primary blame for metabolic syndrome on excess starch and sugar consumption, resulting in insulin resistance, leading to weight gain, diabetes, and all the other conditions associated with metabolic syndrome. The rest of the article certainly supports the idea that it's the junky sugar and starch laden foods so readily available which leads to the cluster of conditions that are the hallmark of metabolic syndrome.

Now if it had said that "one of the first indications of developing metabolic syndrome is excess body fat", that wouldn't have set off the alarm bells. But coming right out and saying that excess body fat causes metabolic syndrome... I was so taken aback by that one statement that I had to read it a couple of times to be sure I read it right.