Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 02:14

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Lose a Stone in 21 Days with Michael Mosley

https://www.channel4.com/programmes...-michael-mosley

Quote:
Lockdown has been bad for the nation's health. Doctor Michael Mosley devises a lifestyle intervention and diet to get our health back on track.
Quote:
Lose a Stone in 21 Days with Michael Mosley, Channel 4, review: no-nonsense Mosley is right candidate to lead fight against flab

One in three British people is clinically obese. “Not me,” I thought, popping a Malteser into my mouth. “Clinically obese people need the fire brigade to winch them out of bed.” Malteser. “I’ve never had to do that.” Malteser. Malteser. Malteser. But then we were introduced to some of these clinically obese people and they looked… rather like me. And you, I suspect.

Lose a Stone in 21 Days with Michael Mosley is not from the same store cupboard as, say, Fat Club or The Biggest Loser, which focused on those at the extreme end of the scales. This three-part series is simply about shifting what Mosley calls “lockdown belly”. And it really matters. Not only can being overweight increase the risk of heart disease and diabetes, it also increases by 37 per cent your chances of dying from Covid-19. Boris Johnson has been banging on about this since concluding that his own near-death experience of the virus was down, in part, to being “too fat”.

Mosley strikes me as a very good candidate to lead the fight against flab. Refreshingly, he doesn’t have much time for self-pity. “There are some nasty numbers in here, some bad news,” he told the five volunteers. “But the good news is we can change it.” In short, let’s get cracking.

Mosley put the volunteers on a diet of 800 calories a day, explaining that the body needs to switch from burning sugar (“money in your pocket”) to burning fat (“money in the bank account”). As we saw from the volunteers’ video diary, this isn’t easy. “I’ve had a couple of dizzy spells,” explained 34-year-old Katie. But even by the end of the first week, things were looking up. “Yes! I love it,” she said, tucking into one of Mosley’s recipes.

There will always be people who claim these sorts of programmes set out to humiliate fat people; that being happy in yourself is what matters. Normally I’d agree. Eating should never be framed as a shameful act (I was quite cross with Mosley when he talked about rummaging through the volunteers’ cupboards to discover their “deepest, darkest secrets”).

But Covid-19 has changed all that. The data is clear. Our lives, I think we can all agree, are more important than our feelings.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/televis...wn-belly-572119
Quote:
Teacher, 34, who weighs 14st 3lbs left stunned after Dr Michael Mosley tells her she is at 'serious risk of developing diabetes' after gaining 9lbs during lockdown

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...betes-risk.html