View Single Post
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/187/160 Male 5'9"
BF:More/ than I /like
Progress: 59%

I just finished the book, and found it an interesting read, though a bit on the alarmist side. (possibly deservedly so) While it went into great detail about the various medical problems allegedly caused by the lights I felt like it fell down in the solution department.

I would have liked to see a more concentrated 'this is how you solve it' chapter with detailed material, all in one place on how best to implement her findings. Instead while it is in there, the reccomendations seem to be buried in the text and scattered all over the book.

I also didn't find much on the effectiveness of partial solutions - Is sleeping in a lighted area helpful at all? What about a partially darkened, but not 'darkroom grade' area? I have trouble believing that only a totally 'photon free' environment will do. After all our ancestors did not all live in caves all the time, and they survived. Ditto for many of the surviving hunter/gatherer societies.

Even more relevant, what about us low-carb types who may still be doing the 'endless summer light exposure, and possibly a high-ish calorie diet, but are not eating all the processed carbs, etc. that Wiley finds problems with... What effect does that path have? She seems to say that one should sleep a lot and live on a no-carb, low calorie diet in the winter and spring, but then do high natural carbs in the summer and fall. What happens if you don't get the carbs in the summer season?

At any rate, I've started to try implementing some of her ideas. I've put up some heavy curtains on the bedroom windows this afternoon. Daylight is now about like dark used to be, I haven't checked out the nightime effect yet. I'm trying to get more sleep at night (not very successfully, but some...) Will see how it does.

Gooserider