View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 17:06

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%
Default aspartame

One keeps reading in posts here about the evils of aspartame and how we must avoid using it to prevent stalls, etc. I am not questioning that some folks may be sensitive to it....just like lots of us are sensitive to aspirin or other specific things.

But I am wondering if anyone can cite any research evidence here regarding how and why it causes stalling. As I recall, Atkins is not very specific about it either..just says don't use it. As someone pointed out, there are many times more deaths due to aspirin say, than due to ephedra (I am not advocating for ephedra...I am one of those who is sensitive to it and get bad heart beats reaction to stimulants) and I expect the same is true for aspartame. I have used it for years and it never stopped me from losing weight in the past..nor did I ever suffer any bad effects. And I note that lots of people who are badly stalled in this forum are not using aspartame.

Sodium cylamate was similarly castigated because some mice developed tumors when given enough of it to be equivalent to our eating lbs of it daily.

I am currently using Splenda where I can, but many of the sugar free products I have access to where I live contain aspartame.

Val
Sponsored Links