View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/189/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

A few things that helped me to quit and stay quit (other than welbutrin!).
1) Pay attention to how people who smoke smell. If you've been away from it for a while, and say the cashier at the gas station smoked, pay attention to it and how truly sickening it smells.
2) Stop smoking in your house immediately. I dont care if it is 20 below - stop smoking in your house. That way when you go to smoker's houses you'll notice how dusty and dank they smell.
3) Brush your teeth every time you want to smoke, or swish with listerine
4) Drink LOTS of water
5) Remember that your addiction is exactly that, an addiction and you'll have to fight it tooth and nail to win. It is NOT stronger than you are.
6) If you want a smoke so bad you're in tears, go run up and down the stairs and then listen to yourself breath - i promise it wont be pretty.
7) Chew the crap out of pencils or straws to help with the oral fixation.
8) I gained all my weight back (thus the reason for this forum!) when I quit, so dont freak out if you gain weight. You are a million times healthier not smoking than you would be a few pounds lighter (besides you're already working on that).
9) Do not ever give up. You might struggle and struggle and struggle, but one day you'll get tired of the fight and simply be done with it.
10) As as smoker, right now you have the most god awful breath in the whole neighborhood. I dont care how much listerine you use, how many altoids you eat, or how much gum you chew - you smell HORRIBLE. Remember that.

Good luck, lots of big hugs and warm thoughts. Eventually, you'll be fine!