View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-22-00, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Question How are we doing?

So how are the SAD folk today? Just checking in.

We've been having such amazingly bright, clear weather for November in Vancouver that it's just unbelievable. Along with my daily menus, carb count, etc., I've been tracking the weather and my moods on a daily basis - just trying to get a handle on things. We've only had 3 or 4 cloudy days and only a couple of rainy days since the beginning of the month. Unheard of! Normally November is nonstop rain - wet, cold, windy, and thoroughly miserable - probably the worst month here.

Anyway, I'm noticing there's a pretty close correlation between my level of physical energy and the amount of sun we're getting - looking back over my journal, I definitely have a tendency to be more tired on cloudy and especially rainy days, and I'm definitely bouncier on sunny days. I've been using the light for at least an hour every morning and another shot in the late afternoon, unless I've been out for a walk in the sun around that time. The light seems to help, but really it's the SUN that makes the most difference.

I know the *kind* of light - sunlight or SAD light - isn't supposed to matter, but for me natural sunlight wins hands down. Maybe it's partly that I can get outdoors when it's sunny - that might make a big difference. It's so easy to turn into a couch potato when the monsoons set in here. (What's a low-carb couch potato? Couch steak? Couch nut? Hmmm.)

I've also been experimenting with ephedra for energy. I take a 1/3 dose (8 mg) with coffee twice a day (morning and afternoon). It does seem to help, though it's been less than a week and I can't say for sure yet. The real test will be when the rains set in (may that day be postponed!). I'm hoping that small dose will help combat the fatigue. (I seem to have dropped a pound, too, but that might be coincidence!)

I tried St. John's Wort last year, and it seemed to help for a while, but then the effects faded. Again, I was only taking a small dose, maybe I needed to up it.

Has anyone else tried St. John's Wort for SAD?

Don't worry, I know you're not supposed to mix it with ephedra, and I won't.

OK, that's my ramble, for what it's worth. Thanks for being patient. It's nice to have this forum for rumination and working things out - hope it's not too boring!

Rachel