Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%
Default Yes, it's your thyroid hormones

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
My LDL is 260 right now, which is really high. That was the only bad thing in the blood work though. There's some part of me that gets paranoid when it sees a total cholesterol of 349 and an LDL of 260. Do any of you have thoughts on an LDL of 260? I've never seen a number that high.

Melissa,

My TC and LDL were each higher than yours -- way higher -- before I began T3 therapy. As Nancy has already noted, a month after starting the meds my TC and LDL each dropped nearly 100 points. I expect my next test to show another 100 point drop, which will put my numbers into the 'normal' level. No statins or change in High Saturated Fat diet required, thank you.

Please read some of my other posts on the subject to see what other hypo symptoms fit you, and instructions for how to take your '3-hr' tests, because given your other numbers there's more than a good chance you've got a thyroid hormone (not glandular!) problem called thyroid resistance. Only doing your temps for a week and getting Ferritin Level, Cortisol Saliva test, as well as FREE T4, FREE T3 and REVERSE T3 will give you an accurate diagnosis.

Quote:
My doc is going to do some thyroid testing in the next round, but he refused to order Free T3 and RT3 tests. He said that they are unreliable; I think that is what he understands from the endos.

Gee, another idiot doctor taking advice from major idiot doctors. Talk about the blind leading the blind!

Sure, the TSH is the so-called gold standard for thyroid tests -- IF what you're testing for is a problem with the thyroid GLAND. If on the other hand you need to find out not what hormones you're making, or how much -- but how much (if any) is actually getting into your cells, then the TSH is utterly useless and unreliable, and only the hormone tests mentioned above will show anything. Of course, you'd need to understand what peripheral thyroid hormones are and what they do in order to know that, and most PCP's don't -- and neither do endos!

As for your BG and TG numbers, I'm suspecting you are also leptin resistant, as am I (just learned once I finally demanded my doc order the test), which would explain both issues for someone on a low carb diet. I plan on writing a long post on leptin resistance -- what it is, what it does, and how to deal with it -- sometime over the weekend, if the impending blizzard allows.

If your doctor won't order the tests you need in order to properly treat your lipids and diabetes because of his or her ignorance, and if he or she refuses to get educated -- find another doctor.

Lisa