#80   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 08:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazia
In summer I like to buy varieties of smaller eggplants at the farmers market and cut them into wedges to roast with butter or along with a small steak, like "eggplant fries."

I like to stay local/organic when possible and options are very limited during winter here. My current favorite is celeriac (celery root), great roasted with meats. I've simmered cubes with a little shallot or onion for a soup, adding sour cream before serving. Saw a recipe on Marks Daily Apple recently for celeriac lasagna, using slices of celery root as "noodles" to bake with meat sauce.

I regularly buy plastic bins of baby kale and add it to everything, right into the pan when I take meats from the oven so it wilts or added to hot sausage or bacon. Bacon fat and any kind of greens is always wonderful, the greens take on a sort of nutty flavor that way instead of seeming bitter.

I like the smaller eggplant too because they have less of the seeds which can be bitter sometimes.

I have a farmer who I visit about once a week. They have a small home garden and sell everyday.

The wife also makes homemade sauerkraut and cans pickles and other veggies from time to time. They also have canned jellies and jams but I don't buy those these days.

They had some really great tomatoes of all different types this summer, up until October when they planted a winter crop so I need to go back and check if they have more now. They're a little higher in carbs so I only buy a few.

I love using bacon fat and bacon for cooking greens too.
I've tried using salt pork lately which is a southern thing and it is so good especially with the more sturdy greens that need a lot of cooking down.

I like to buy from them because they pick the veggies when they are nice and small before they get too big and go to seed like the ones at the grocery store that are way to big sometimes. They also last longer in my fridge when freshly picked since there is no transport time to age them.