#6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 13:28

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
I only eat organic/all natural foods and I have esophageal ulcers so it's hard for me find many things that I can eat.

I don't know about esophageal ulcers in particular, but from all the bad information I've heard about IBS and GERD, I wonder if you're currently restricting things that would actually help you heal. What are you avoiding now?

From what I've learned, the very best food for healing the GI tract is broth. Best to make it at home. Buy a couple whole chickens ("stewers" are best) or just save your bones in the freezer whenever you eat chicken (save the skin too if you don't eat it). Simmer it in a pot for about 12 hours, strain it and boil it down to reduce the volume. Then make yourself a soup or a sauce with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
This diet makes it A LOT harder. .... However, I don't want to over do it with them due to cholesterol and high sodium in take.

I definitely think you're putting some unnecessary restrictions on your food. My suggestion is not to worry about sodium. Eliminating sodium can't lower your blood pressure more than 5 points - and it might actually harm your health.

As for cholesterol: you're a low-carber now, brother, and you need to make friends with your fats. It's well known that dietary cholesterol only raises serum cholesterol temporarily - almost all the cholesterol in your body is made by your body. Plus, the risks associated with "high cholesterol" have been very badly misinterpreted. The majority of low-carb books (e.g. Atkins, Protein Power and GCBC) will clue you in on the details of why you should NOT be avoiding cholesterol or saturated fat.

Quote:
Also, it says that there is less than 2% of apple cider vinegar in the ingredients. Are these still okay to snack on? Some say apple cider vinegar is all right while others say it isn't. Would less than 2% be that big of a deal? Also, any other suggestions?

Some people swear by ACV but it doesn't work for me. There may be exceptions to this rule, but in general I find that if a food bothers me, there is no safe dose for it and I must avoid it completely. But if you want to try it, go for it. You can always eliminate it later after the other changes in your diet have settled down.