View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I agree that those who suffer from anorexic behavior as well as those with morbid obesity suffer from body image problems. Other than that, I think there are few experiences that are the same for these two groups. Underweight is celebrated in our society just look at the heroine model ads. Underweight people are treated as if they are fragile, maybe they are. But our society HATES fat people so I would venture to say the experience is different. As for the validity or need for this thread, I think it is an important topic. And obviously one that people are interested in.

A vast majority of people are attracted to thin or average weight women. There are men who are attracted to larger women but I believe they are few and far between. In defense of men, I don't think we can help what we are attracted to. I believe that there may be a biological pull towards thinner women. They appear more "adolescent" which denotes fertility. I guess I sound like an anthropology major - I am! But a thinner, more youthful figure does indicate fertility and health in the subconcious. In some cultures, larger women were celebrated and desired. But those cultures dealt with starvation and disease on a regular basis so anyone who could achieve fatness was doing okay. Thinner women are more fertile - that is a fact!

I am really gonna step out on a limb here. I am fat because I eat too much and exercise too little. I have a friend who weighs 400 pounds and she eats like a train. And she never moves. That is why she weighs 400 pounds. I cannot blame my body for weighing close to 300 pounds with habits like mine. I believe there are some people who cannot maintain a lower weight for medical reasons. But I believe they are few and far between. Most of us who are fat, know why we are fat. We may be insulin resistent but that doesn't explain morbid obesity - it might explain 20 or 30 pounds. It comes down to accepting responsibility for ones behavior. I know exactly how I got here and I would venture to say that any honest person knows. I believe that most of our bodies resist being fat - but we just keep going. Cindi