Old Thu, May-24-18, 02:55

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Joey, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeythecat
So basically its time for me to get my "stuff" together. I just turned 36, male, 240lbs. My wife and I are trying to start a family and I want to be healthy for our child. I feel tired all the time and I need to make a change.

Three years ago when I was 36 I was over 300 pounds. Now I'm 39 and about 187. There aren't too many blokes our age around here, but don't let that put you off. This place has been a key part of my own journey these last couple of years. Stick around and it can be just a big a help for you too.

Quote:
I do not eat excessive amounts of food, but I need to make changes to my diet. I only drink water and try to eat salad with chicken, avocado and no dressing for lunches. I am addicted to cereal, the cranberry crunch one from costco. I only use skim non-fat milk, but I eat it almost every day. I am OK giving this up but it will be hard. I try to walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical as much as possible but I will start trying to go every day.

Regarding giving up certain foods, that's easier to do when you have other food options to replace them with. A typical breakfast replacement for most people involves eggs, any way you like. Maybe some bacon or sausages or something to go with them as well. Your lunches sound all right, although you haven't said what's for dinner (assuming you have dinner at all ).

Quote:
My wife is naturally thin but also has gained some weight since we got married. She is also looking to cut back and we are going to support each other, but sometimes we make bad decisions food wise.

I know another couple in their mid-30s who are doing this together, and while they each have their own tastes in a few instances, they're still quite happily supporting each other and getting some great results after just a few months so far. If you can get some momentum going between the two of you it will become much easier for you both as well.

Quote:
I am going to start again cutting out almost all carbs and cutting down sugar. I need help from anyone on here that can take a few minutes to guide me or give me suggestions. I am happy I found this forum. I am ready to change but I need a helping hand. Thanks in advance.

As Janet has already suggested, Diet Doctor has plenty of introductory information on how to get started with low carb and what your eating options are. Lots of recipes there too, as well as here. There's plenty of reading in both places. Take your time, soak it all in, ask any questions you like. We're here to help.

Good luck!