Old Wed, May-11-05, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
So, I have a question. Has anyone tried baking this in an actual oven, rather than the microwave? I know that starts to become a whole lot more like cooking, and less like microwave magic, but I'm curious. Also, I've never used flax meal before- this was my first time. It seems like a too-good-to-be-true ingredient. All it's carbs come from fiber- so it's like, free? Can you eat too much of this stuff? Will it make you get tummy upset or some other bad thing? If it's a free carb, why aren't we putting it in everything?!!

I've actually been making coffee cakes using carbquik and almond meal lately and those get baked in the oven. This last one I made was fabulous!

Flax meal is very, very caloric. It's like 60 calories per tablespoon. I suspect it has a high oil content. I try to limit it to about 1-2 tablespoons. It also has a little bit of a bitter taste to it, kind of halfway nutty, halfway bitter. So if you use to much you might find it intrudes into the flavors too much.

But I do like the crumbly texture it gives to bowl muffins. It makes it more like a muffin and less like bread pudding.

Glad you enjoyed the Bowl Muffin technique!