View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-23, 13:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

By golly! It has only been a week and I'm seeing improvement. I did great on carnivore but moving to the Wahls Protocol was like a carb ladder. And, like with Atkins, I got sick and had to back off.

But I learned some things both times, and that was good. I discovered lectins. Gave up on vegetables but did well with botanical fruits. I thought.

Turns out I was picking high oxalate salad greens, and even when I dropped all veg not pickled/fermented, I was still stuck. I had unknowingly kept just enough high oxalate fruit, like raspberries and tomatoes, to keep my progress slow and erratic.

After a week I am feeling stuff happen, as warned in the book, and gradually feeling better and better. Though this morning was a slow start, I actually felt a boost in the afternoon.

Carnivore is very low oxalate. I don't regret dropping the sweeteners and artificial flavors (stevia disrupts hormones!) for my smoothies. Chocolate and nuts were casualties in the sense I'm watching portions again! But herbal teas are OK and they put a nice dimension to my smoothies. That makes up for the shrinking cocoa content.

I'm supposed to eat more calcium to buffer the oxalates my body needs to get rid of. Or I might run into a deficiency.

I was ready to go back to Carnivore all over again when I found this book. It explained the baffling ways a food seemed fine until something was wrong, and I had to throw out a whole category to be sure.

Not that I was dreading it, but it is expensive. If I could have salads and some higher sugar fruit back, the variety would be enjoyable. As a healing strategy I am supposed to adjust my carbs up a bit to give my organs a break with their detoxing.

And spring is coming. I missed my Caesar salad with sardines, and that's 20% of the RDA for calcium right there. When I sink, I don't want to eat. To be enthused about food again is a treat in itself.

It's gotten me looking at my nutrition again and that's where all the healing lies. From her book, it's clear to me my autoimmune works with Carnivore (Primal with dairy the way I do it, animal foods) because a lot of my issue is about oxalates, I'm convinced. That's as close to a zero oxalate as we can come.

We get more nutrition, and low oxalate storage with high breakdown keeps us healthy. Yet those who have trouble with it, now they know what plants to add in without worsening the issues they are trying to treat.

I do have a safety note: stepping down oxalate intake triggers a set of Herxheimer reactions. Gradually reducing intake is less stressful for us and the body.

I think this book will be very useful for getting my health bouncing back after the last couple of years