#42   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-18, 01:30

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
‘I shed seven stone and reversed my diabetes through a low carb diet’

Yvonne Lane has avoided needing to take medication to control her blood sugar levels – by following a similar diet to Labour's Tom Watson

Being told she had type 2 diabetes was a shock for Yvonne Lane. The potential life-limiting complications – from sight loss and amputation to cardiovascular disease and stroke – terrified her.

So she decided there and then to start a complete lifestyle overhaul.

The 52-year-old had always struggled with her weight and when she was diagnosed in December 2016 she was 15 stone 12. Now she’s lost nearly seven stone and ‘reversed’ her diabetes – which means she has avoided needing to take any medication.

The charity fundraiser, from South London, has followed a low carb diet – giving up pasta, potatoes, bread and sugar. Labour deputy leader Tom Watson recently revealed he followed a similar eating plan that has resulted in dramatic weight loss and he no longer requires insulin to manage his blood sugar.

Yvonne told i: “I’d honestly say that I don’t feel denied, it took a few weeks of cravings and feeling cranky from the carb withdrawals but now I just feel so much better.

“I used to suffer very bad migraines - about six to eight a month – and they have now gone too.”

The rise in type 2 diabetes across the UK is linked to the growth in obesity – and this fast growing health crisis is set to affect more than 5 million people by 2025.

Medics are increasingly urging that the condition is a preventable and reversible disease. But the carboyhdrate/fat diet debate has split the scientific and public health community.

How is the diet said to work? Yvonne followed the Diabetes.co.uk forum and followed its Low Carb Program.

This focuses on reducing carbs to under 20g a day. When she was diagnosed, her HbA1c (average blood glucose level) was 108mmol/mol. Above 48mmol/mol is considered diabetic. Her last measurement in August was just 30 mmol/mol.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle...verse-diabetes/